At Phillips Lytle, we have more than a century and a half of real estate experience. As a full-service Real Estate Practice, we represent sellers, buyers, developers, contractors, brokers, landlords, tenants, lenders, borrowers, and title insurance companies. Our highly capable attorneys and paralegals handle virtually every kind of real property-related matter. Our Real Estate attorneys possess a sound knowledge of real estate laws and have the responsiveness, expertise and experience to move projects to a successful conclusion quickly and cost-effectively, while still maintaining uncompromising standards in the protection of our clients.
Phillips Lytle has a comprehensive Real Estate Practice that includes:
- Commercial air rights leasing
- Commercial property sales and purchases
- Community association representation (covenant/restriction interpretation and enforcement, assessment collection and lien foreclosures)
- Community association development encompassing planned unit developments, cooperatives, condominiums, homeowners’ associations and timeshares – including filings with the New York State Department of Law and all other aspects of public offerings
- Development syndications, partnerships and joint ventures
- Easements and rights-of-way
- EB-5 project development, including equity and debt investment joint ventures
- Eminent domain
- Environmental matters
- Equity and debt financing
- General contractors’, architects’ and construction managers’ agreements
- Historic tax credits
- In rem tax foreclosures
- Land Use and Zoning
- Leasing of commercial and mixed-use properties, including industrial, office, hospitality and retail properties
- Mechanics’ liens
- Mortgage financing, including construction lending
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Real property assessment tax challenges (we also represent municipalities defending assessment challenges)
- Residential mortgages, sales, acquisitions and leases
- Secured lending
- Tax-exempt and taxable bond financings
- Title examinations
- Title insurance policy issuance and claims defense
- Restructurings and workouts
Phillips Lytle stresses an interdisciplinary approach to matters in these areas, and assembles project-specific teams to meet the particular needs of each client and matter. We draw on the expertise of professionals from our Banking, Environmental, Corporate, Tax, Bankruptcy and Litigation Practice Areas, as needed.
We have nationally recognized experience across numerous areas, including those involving institutional lenders, corporations, REITs, private developers, public utilities, municipalities, individuals and others in connection with large and small commercial, industrial, office, professional, retail and residential projects. Our practice also includes statewide high-volume, high-technology representation in the telecommunications, lending and foreclosure areas, and nationwide multi-location retail leasing.
In the Buffalo area, we have represented lenders and developers in nearly every recent major development project that has occurred in the Buffalo Niagara Region. We created the first vertical planned unit development in New York State, the first cooperative leasehold marina in Western New York, and one of the first timeshare projects in New York State. We also maintain an agency or examining counsel relationship with several national title insurance companies.
In the New York City metropolitan area, we have represented numerous sellers, purchasers, landlords and tenants in a wide variety of projects ranging from boutique shops in Greenwich Village to the sale and leaseback of a mixed-use office, banking, retail and special-purpose facilities in midtown, including the largest-single real estate transaction in New York City in 2010. Our experience also includes representing a private individual purchasing and restoring a single-family residence on Central Park West, a multi-national corporation restoring a landmark corporate headquarters, a state agency converting an historic theater into a mixed-use entertainment, retail, office and residential property, and the acquisition by an overseas company of newly constructed trophy office building in Bryant Park.
Our Banking & Financial Services Practice includes all types of commercial and residential lending, including construction, permanent, multi-family mortgage, warehouse, leasehold mortgage lending and lending that involves the SBA, NYSBDC, Industrial Development Agencies and other quasi-governmental agencies.
Our attorneys work with, and provide successful representation to, dozens of financial institutions each year.