Phillips Lytle’s success representing a wide range of clients spans decades and includes our role as sole defense counsel to Occidental Chemical for personal injury actions, and co-counsel on cleanup actions related to Love Canal. Fortune 200 companies regularly rely on Phillips Lytle for assistance with environmental issues. Indeed, we have been included in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for outstanding capabilities in environmental law. According to Chambers, Phillips Lytle “has developed a superb knowledge of local environmental law and clients agree that they would not hesitate to turn to it for advice on New York environmental regulation.” Our environmental experience pre-dates the advent of water pollution legislation in 1970, and intensified with the enactment of waste management laws in 1976, and environmental cleanup laws in 1980. Our rich history of progressive environmental representation has enabled our Environmental Team to evolve into one of the most sophisticated practices in the state and the nation. We also have established an innovative and successful Brownfields Redevelopment Practice, as well as one of the most comprehensive Environmental Impact Review Practices in the region.
Our growing Environmental Practice consists of both trial and administrative law attorneys, who have training and experience in civil and criminal litigation in federal, state, and administrative proceedings, and regulatory attorneys who advise business clients about regulatory compliance, environmental permit management, new property development, and the redevelopment of environmentally distressed property. We also represent clients on the varied environmental issues that can be presented by real property transactions, and asset and stock acquisitions and divestitures. Our environmental attorneys collaborate with other Firm attorneys in order to give our clients the inter-disciplinary depth that ensures complete, cost-effective representation. To that end, many of our attorneys have backgrounds in corporate, banking, real estate, personal injury, and chemical exposure law.
Our Environmental attorneys offer expertise in many areas, including:
- Compliance with state and federal environmental statutes and regulations, including the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts, TSCA and OSHA
- Environmental Impact Reviews pursuant to NEPA and SEQRA
- Land Use Planning & Zoning
- Brownfields Redevelopment
- Chemical exposure and toxic tort litigation defense
- Federal and state, civil and criminal, litigation and administrative proceedings for matters involving CERCLA, RCRA, as well as the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts
- Environmental issues concerning mergers, acquisitions and real property transfers including environmental due diligence and related contract negotiations
Phillips Lytle is proud to be recognized for a fourth year by Chambers USA for excellence in environmental law.
Click here to view Phillips Lytle's profile on the Chambers USA website.