Phillips Lytle’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice is comprised of highly accomplished and knowledgeable attorneys, several of whom are listed in the prestigious publication, The Best Lawyers in America®. This team brings the requisite expertise and experience to assist a wide variety of domestic and foreign clients with business combination transactions. Our experience includes traditional acquisitions, divestitures and mergers, as well as restructurings, recapitalizations, management buy-outs and joint ventures.
Our attorneys manage each transaction in a multi-disciplinary fashion, working closely, as needed, with our Tax, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Employee Benefits, Banking & Financial Services, Environmental and Real Estate Teams.
A few of the many ways in which we facilitate the acquisition process include:
- Introducing firms considering acquisitions to potential sources of acquisition candidates and financing
- Legal due diligence review with special emphasis on environmental, tax, litigation, labor and employment, employee benefits and real estate concerns
- Preparation of letters of intent, term sheets and other preliminary documents
- Acting as either lead negotiator or a member of the negotiating team
- Assisting in and coordinating transaction financing arrangements
- Tax planning and transaction structure analysis to ensure maximum tax and other benefits
- Coordination of activities of other professionals where appropriate, such as foreign counsel, environmental consultants, insurance advisors, accountants and investment bankers
- Negotiation and drafting of transaction documents
- Legal support for post-closing and transitional activities
Our Mergers & Acquisitions Team has represented both synergistic/strategic clients, as well as private equity groups in business combination transactions spanning a broad spectrum of industries that include:
- Financial services organizations, including investment advisers, banks, collection agencies, student loan providers, automotive finance, mortgage brokers, international trading services and trade financing, dollar clearing and money transfer services
- Real estate entities, including real estate investment trusts, resort complexes, hotels, restaurants, real estate brokerages and other types of commercial real estate businesses
- Consulting and service firms, including international consulting firms, engineering firms, advertising agencies and insurance advisors
- Manufacturing businesses, including machine tools, material-handling equipment, automotive products from vehicle tires to climate control systems, aerospace components, plastic fabrication and injection products, HVAC appliances, appliance parts, medical products, cosmetics, furniture and computer equipment
- Food service companies, including manufacturers, processors and distributors of food products and related services
- General service providers, such as school transportation services, defense contracting, environmental remediation, medical testing laboratories and government research and development
- Post-secondary proprietary education providers
Phillips Lytle’s Mergers & Acquisitions Team has the expertise, experience, industry knowledge and savvy to assist clients with nearly any issue that may arise in connection with a merger or acquisition transaction. These abilities, combined with our excellent service and track record of cost-effectiveness, make Phillips Lytle an excellent choice to assist clients with their U.S. mergers and acquisitions.